Tuesday 24 August 2010

InSpiral Lounge

Yet again I feel like I should be apologising for being a terrible blogger, I can't believe I haven't posted since June. I'm sorry! As always I'm going to use the I've been busy excuse, I had friends to stay, our computer broke, my husband & I went on our honeymoon and then when I got back I quit my job to focus on setting up my business Operation Icing. I'll write about that properly when I get the website up & running but the general idea is that I'll be making money baking cake! Currently you can buy my cupcakes at the Add The Colour Cafe on North Road.

Anyway this blog isn't all about me, it's about food I've eaten, so...

At the end of June some fellow PPK friends and I met up at InSpiral Lounge in Camden to talk shit and eat food, this is something we do a lot.

I'd been there before but only for Ice Cream and I'd wanted to try their lasagna for ages...

... I definitely wasn't disappointed. For one it was huge, I could hardly even make a dent in my side dishes, and two, it was delicious. The topping was a really creamy bechamel sauce and it was filled with corn pasta, loads of sauce and Mediterranean vegetables.

I love lasagna but I'm always too overwhelmed by the many different parts of a lasagna recipe to ever attempt to make my own. Until today that is, this picture made me crave lasagna so much that I'm making the Veganomicon spinach lasagna for dinner. I've already made the tofu ricotta & the pine nut cream, all I need to do now is make the marinara sauce, steam the spinach and throw the whole thing together...I can't believe I've been scared of making lasagna for so long, it really isn't as complicated as it may seem!

InSpiral Lounge make amazing desserts, I bake a lot of cake which means I'm a bit fussy but I genuinely think this chocolate mousse cake is one of the best thing's I've ever eaten. I'll definitely be trying to recreate it at home as soon as I have the time.


The cake was perfectly soft & moist and the mousse was light and fluffy - yum! I also couldn't resist having a scoop of 'the best ice cream ever' as I refer to it, on the side. This mint choc chip ice cream is the creamiest most delicious thing ever, it's raw, soy free, cashew based, agave sweetened and amazing.

If you get the chance to head to Camden definitely make time for InSpiral Lounge, it's well worth the visit.

My last few post's have been very London based so next time I'll be back in Brighton posting about Terre a Terre's great grower's menu.

8 comments:

  1. Im so glad to see you posting again as I love your blog. Especially as you are from the UK to!
    Post more often, you are awesome!
    :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. why do I always miss those PPK meetups, especially living less than I mile from Inspiral? The mousse cake is amazing. They took it off the menu a while ago but it was revived via an online poll!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations on your new cupcake business!

    That lasagna and slice of cake looks delicious. I still have not made vegan lasagna, too many steps!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Welcome back! I enjoyed InSpiral as well. I wouldn't mind going back.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Can't wait to hear about your cupcaking! That choc mousse cake looks pretty incredible.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ooohh... it looks so good. And I can't wait to see what you have to say about Terre a Terre. I've been there once, and now must spend the rest of my life being on the other side of the world from there. It is sad.

    Congrats on the baking business as well - I can't wait to hear more about it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. What exciting news. That's something I'd love to do, but not too many vegans where I live.
    I'll tell my friend in Brighton to stop in and try some of your baking and next time I'm over I'll make sure to visit the cafe too.
    Best of luck.

    ReplyDelete
  8. All that looks yummy, I really want to go to Inspiral!

    ReplyDelete

Talk to me!